Animal ethics refers to the ethical use of animals for scientific purposes (i.e. research, testing and teaching).
Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics safeguards the welfare of these animals in Queensland under Queensland's animal welfare legislation, the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA).
Any person proposing to use animals for these purposes must:
- register with Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics
- obtain approval from an animal ethics committee (AEC)
- comply with the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes which is compulsory under Section 91 of the ACPA
- keep the required documentation
- submit an annual Animal Use Statistics Report, either through their AEC, or directly to Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics.
The Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 protects the welfare of animals in Queensland.
Recordkeeping and reporting requirements
Recordkeeping and reporting requirements for using animals for scientific purposes
The monitoring program assures the ethical use of animals used for scientific purposes.
Summary of requirements for scientific animal use
Requirements for people intending to use animals for scientific purposes
Registering as an animal user
Using an animal for scientific purposes must be registered with Biosecurity Queensland and gain approval from an AEC.
A listing of criteria defining when a scientific activity involving an animal requires AEC approval and other FAQ's.
Animal ethics training
Information on free Animal ethics training for those interested in how a committee functions along with a sample course program and contacts to register.
Animal ethics committees
The AEC monitors the use of animals for scientific purposes including researching and teaching.
Replacement, reduction and refinement
Persons making a proposal for the use of animals for scientific purposes are required to consider the 3 Rs: Replacement, reduction and refinement.
Glossary for animal ethics (using animals for scientific purposes)