The Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA) requires all persons who are registered to use animals for scientific purposes in Queensland to provide a written annual report to Biosecurity Queensland (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries) on their animal use..
You must submit your Animal Use Statistics (AUS) Report on or before 31 May 2016 for animals used in the 2015 calendar year (i.e. 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015).
The animals you need to report
You need to report animals as defined in ACPA. This includes:
- any live vertebrate, including amphibians, birds, fish, mammals and reptiles. A human being is not an animal
- all species of the class Cephalopoda (octopi, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus). Cephalopods were granted legal status as animals in Queensland as of 21 July 2006
- live prenatal or prehatched creatures in the last half of gestation, such as a mammalian or reptilian foetus, prehatched avian, and mammalian or reptilian young and live marsupial young. A human foetus is not an animal. Nor are the eggs, spat or spawn of fish
- the remains of an animal that was killed for a scientific purpose.
Guidelines for submitting your Animal Use Statistics Report
The guidelines for completing the 2015 animal use statistics report provide all the information you, as a registrant, need to report your animal use for 2015 to Biosecurity Queensland (DAF).
Please read the guidelines carefully before completing the appropriate 2015 AUS Reporting Format (Excel spreadsheet).
The guidelines contain information on:
- who needs to submit an AUS Report
- which AUS Report format to use
- how to submit a NIL AUS Report if no animals were used during the reporting period
- downloading, troubleshooting and submitting the AUS Report (Microsoft Excel Workbook)
- how to complete the AUS Report (Microsoft Excel Workbook), including
- Worksheet 1 - registrant details
- Worksheet 2 - activity details
- Worksheet 3 - complaints and grievances
- explanations for the categories used in the AUS Report
- who to contact for further assistance.
2015 Animal Use Statistics Report
If you are submitting your report to Biosecurity Queensland, you must complete one of the following spreadsheets:
If you are reporting on behalf of a primary or secondary school or college, complete only Format 1:
All other registrants must complete Format 2:
Instructions for saving this file
- Do NOT open this file and try to save it. Instead, right-click on the link above and click Save Target As. Then save the file to a folder on your computer or network.
- Open the file. On the Security Warning box that pops up, click Enable Macros. If you have a problem doing this, your computer settings may be preventing macros working.
- Do not activate the 'Share Workbook' function (under Tools), as this will disable macros.