Summary of requirements for scientific animal use

If you intend to use animals for scientific purposes there are things you must do to ensure and demonstrate the welfare of the animals and comply with the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA).

Before you use an animal in Queensland

While you are using an animal for an AEC approved use

You must adhere to any requirements made by the AEC that approved your animal use and you must comply with the Scientific Use Code.

You must also report on your animal use to your AEC and Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics. Your AEC will provide details of the information they require. Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics requires that registrants provide an annual report called an Animal Use Statistics Report. Your AEC can either submit this report on your behalf, or registrants will need to submit it directly to Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics. Contact your AEC to find out the correct procedure.

Further information

After you have completed your animal use

  • Submit a completion report to your AEC
  • Report to Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics either through your AEC or directly. The AEC may submit the report to Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics on your behalf. Otherwise you will need to submit it yourself. Contact your AEC to find out which is applicable.

Tests that are unlawful in Queensland

Under the ACPA certain tests are unlawful:

  • Skin and eye irritancy tests (e.g. the Draize test)
  • Lethal Dose 50 (LD50) or similar test
  • Testing cosmetic or sunscreen products using animals

However, a registered person may apply to the Director-General of the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries to conduct one of the above tests. A prescribed fee must accompany the application. No approvals to conduct unlawful animal use have been granted.

For further information, see animal ethics legislation

Requirements for animal use in other Australian states and territories

If you wish to carry out scientific animal use in another Australian state or territory, you will need to comply with the relevant legislation in the other jurisdiction. The New South Wales Department of Primary Industries Animal Ethics Infolink website provides details of requirements in Australia's other states and territories.

Requirements of other agencies and organisations

Depending on the details of your scientific or educated activity, you may be subject to other requirements. Any additional requirements will be determined by the other agency or organisation, including but not limited to:

  • Funding bodies - use of their dollars, e.g. National Health and Medical Research Council
  • Environment departments - use of wildlife
  • Occupational health and safety
  • Genetic Modification Advisory Committee - use of gene technology
  • AQIS - use of imported or controlled biologicals
  • Queensland Health - use of scheduled drugs, chemicals and poisons.

Further information

Last updated 30 April 2013