Rainman StreamFlow analysis tool
27 May 2021: The previous data file R33Update.zip contained incorrect rainfall data. If you downloaded the file between 12 and 26 May 2021, we recommend you replace it with the new file (instructions below). We apologise for the inconvenience.
The Rainman StreamFlow analysis tool was developed by the department to assist the industry to improve climate risk management. The tool provides the ability to analyse rainfall and other climate variables at individual locations and taking into account seasonal patterns and forecasts.
The current version of Rainman is 4.3+ (0492). Version 4.3+ is free for download or by CD copy and combines new and existing features including:
- analysis records for individual locations for seasonal, monthly and daily patterns
- forecast seasonal rainfall based on the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) or Sea Surface Temperatures (SST)
- international rainfall data
- new map system for selection (zoom into any country)
- 9700 rainfall locations worldwide
- 400 streamflow gauging stations in Australia (in addition to monthly and daily rainfall data)
- analysis of monthly and daily streamflow (as well as normal rainfall data)
- forecasts in 'standard' mode (SOI Phases)
- forecasts in 'research' mode (vary the season and lead time)
- new SST (Pacific and/or Indian Ocean) analysis
- new 'persistence' analysis for streamflow
- results as tables, charts and maps
- periods of forecast skill analysis
- extra statistical tests
- able to sort worst drought and wettest periods
- mapping for spatial view of analyses
- ability to select groups of locations for mapping and group analysis
- ability to analyse any long-term time series, such as temperature or simulation model output
- new detailed tutorials for rainfall and streamflow
- facilitator's notes for trainers and educators.
Updating monthly data
Monthly data can be updated over the internet free of charge.
To update your data:
- Use your internet browser to download the file:
- Start Rainman, choose File - Update Data - From Disk...
- Select the file you just downloaded and click 'Open'
Close Rainman and then restart it
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
Minimum system configuration:
PC/Windows, 16MB, CD-ROM drive and 800 x 600 display monitor.