Assessment guide for agricultural development activities

This interactive guide provides information on the requirements you'll need to meet when undertaking certain agricultural development activities. It includes assessment pathways and identifies the departments that have a regulatory role in these projects.

Click the relevant heading to see examples of the activities addressed in each section.

  • Changing the use of a property (material change of use)

    This applies when you plan to change the use of a property, whether by starting a new use, re-establishing a use that was abandoned, or changing the scale or intensity of the use of the property.

    For example, you want to establish:

    • a tourist attraction
    • cropping
    • intensive horticulture
    • a cattle feedlot
    • a windfarm.

    More information

  • Reconfiguring a lot

    Reconfiguring a lot is required when there is a proposed change to the property boundary, for instance when a block is subdivided.

    The information provided here applies if you want to, e.g.:

    • subdivide a lot into 2 or more lots
    • re-arrange the boundaries of a lot
    • create an easement

    More information

  • Undertaking building work

    Improvements to a property such as building a shed, carport, house extension or swimming pool are known as building works. It's important to note that your development proposal may also have other aspects to consider, such as being a ‘material change of use’ or involves ‘operational work’.

    The information provided here applies if you want to build, e.g.:

    • a residential house
    • workers accommodation
    • tourist accommodation
    • a shed
    • a roadside shop
    • a second (dual) dwelling

    More information

  • Undertaking operational work

    Operational works can follow a development approval for a material change of use or reconfiguring a lot. It refers to work that affects a property or its use. The range of these works may include excavating or filling, clearing vegetation, road works and infrastructure but does not include plumbing, drainage or building work.

    For example, you want to:

    • extract gravel
    • clear vegetation

    or build a:

    • road
    • off-stream dam
    • in-stream dam
    • river crossing
    • culvert crossing.

    More information

  • Undertaking intensive animal husbandry

    Animal industries contribute significantly to Queensland's economy. Queensland has a well-deserved reputation for clean, safe and ethically produced food.

    Information provided here relates to the following industries:

    • cattle
    • sheep
    • pigs
    • poultry.

    More information

  • Participating in the aquaculture industry

    Queensland provides the ideal climate and growing conditions for marine and freshwater aquaculture.

    Information provided here relates to, for example, the following freshwater and marine species.

    More information

  • Participating in the fishing industry

    Commercial fisheries are often categorised according to the species they sell and the fishing gear they use. These categories include:

    More information

  • Clearing native vegetation

    The clearing of native vegetation in Queensland is regulated by both Australian Government and state legislation. Some local governments also regulate clearing of native vegetation.

    This information applies if you want to clear native vegetation to, e.g.:

    • grow irrigated pasture/fodder
    • grow sugarcane or other broad-acre crops
    • build a road or fence
    • build a house or workers accommodation
    • control weeds
    • clear regrowth.

    More information