The Breedcow and Dynama software package is designed to plan, evaluate and improve the profitability and financial management of extensive beef cattle enterprises.
Breedcow and Dynama programs are based on four budgeting processes:
- Comparing the likely profitability of the herd under different management or turnoff systems (Breedcowplus program)
- Making forward projections of stock numbers, sales, cash flow, net income, debt and net worth (Dynamaplus program)
- Deciding what to sell when the plan goes sour or what to buy when there is an opportunity (Bullocks and Cowtrade programs)
- Evaluating long term investments in herd or property improvement to determine the rate of return on extra capital (Investan program).
The software overview provides more information about these programs.
- Free downloadable software
- System compatibility:
- All MS Windows 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems
Download the software, updates and data files
Terms and Conditions
Breedcow and Dynama Software: Software Licence
Grant of licence
The State of Queensland through the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) hereby grants you a non-exclusive and non-transferable licence to use the Breedcow and Dynama software (Software) on the following terms and conditions.
Use of the Software
- DAF grants you the right to use one copy of the Software.
- You must not, and must not authorise others to:
- use the Software for unlawful purposes, misuse the Software, or use the Software with the intention of encroaching upon the privacy of an individual or company or other organisation;
- engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative versions from the Software; or
- sell, rent, lease, exchange, give away or otherwise dispose of the Software.
- Each copy of the Software must contain all of the original proprietary notices, disclaimers and licence.
© 2017 The State of Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- The Tool is subject to copyright. Without excluding or limiting the application of the Copyright Act 1968(Cth), you are not permitted to copy in whole or part, the Tool except for backup purposes and to load the Tool into the computer as part of executing the Tool. All other reproductions or copies of the Tool are in violation of this licence and the Copyright Act 1968.
Use of names
- You must not without written permission:
- use the name of DAF or any trademark or logo of DAF; or
- claim any sponsorship, endorsement, approval, affiliation or other association with DAF.
- This licence is effective until terminated.
- Termination occurs immediately:
- if all copies of the Software in your possession are destroyed; or
- if you fail to adhere to the conditions of this licence or the provisions of the Copyright Act 1968.
Use at your own risk
- You accept sole responsibility and risk associated with the use and results of the Software.
- You are responsible for determining that the Software is suitable for your own use or purpose.
- DAF makes no representations or warranties in relation to the Tool, and, you agree that, to the extent permitted by law, all warranties concerning the Tool are excluded, including as to:
- the accuracy, completeness, currency or suitability for your purpose of the Software or information in the Software or that reasonable care has been taken in its preparation;
- the non-infringement of third party rights; and
- the absence of errors, defects, viruses or other contaminating or destructive properties in the Tool or data.
- To the extent permitted by law, all liability of DAF for any loss, damage or costs (including consequential damage) incurred in any way (including but not limited to that arising from negligence) in connection with any use of or reliance on the Tool is excluded or limited. Where any statute implies into this licence a condition or warranty, DAF's liability for any breach of such condition or warranty is limited to the purchase price of the Software.
- You agree to indemnify DAF and its officers and employees against any loss, cost, expense, damage and liability of any kind (including consequential damage and liability in negligence) arising directly or indirectly from or related to any claim in connection with your use of the Tool or any product made from your use of the Tool. Your liability to indemnify DAF will be reduced proportionally to the extent that any negligent act or omission or breach of this licence by DAF caused the loss or liability.
- Any variation to this licence must be in writing signed by both parties.
- Any term which is held to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable will be severable and will not affect or impair the legality, validity or enforceability of the remaining terms.
- This licence is governed by the laws of the State of Queensland, Australia.
- In this licence:
- headings are for convenience only and do not affect interpretation; and
- unless expressly stated otherwise, "includes" in any form is not a word of limitation.
Installing the software
Below are some simple instructions for installing the software. Getting started has more detailed instruction and troubleshooting for Windows 7 users.
- Read the licence and click on the 'I agree...' box
- Click on the Breedcow and Dynama version that you want to download and save it to your computer
- Locate and run 'BDInstall602.exe'
- 'Publisher could not be verified...' - click Run
- A dialog box will pop up offering to install to a directory on your computer; select the desired directory then click Install. Note: You may be prompted to install Office Web Components (OWC), see below for further detail.
- Message comes up 'files installed successfully' - click OK, then click OK to close the dialog box
- For a new installation of Version 6.02, a new folder 'c: \BreedcowAndDynam6.02\' will be created for the program files.
Installing Office Web Components
If you are not running Microsoft Windows XP, you will be prompted to install Office Web Components. This add-in is required for the Breedcow and Dynama software to function correctly.
You can download Office Web Components v11 from the Microsoft website.
If you have an earlier version installed, installing Version 6.02 will not update it or disturb existing data files.
Data files from earlier versions than Version 6 are not able to be loaded using Version 6.02. Files saved with Version 6.02 cannot be loaded with any earlier versions.
In most cases, future updates of Version 6.02 will be able to be installed without loss of data files created by the user. However, we recommend backing up data files created in Version 6.02, prior to installing any updates, to ensure that important data is not lost.
Regional data files
These are example data files for the Breedcowplus program covering Queensland, Northern Territory and the northern part of Western Australia. They provide a starting point when looking at herd performance in the regions modelled, and a baseline to measure the impact of husbandry and other herd management changes.
For Version 6.02, regional data files are automatically installed.
Note: The names of the individual regional data files are reserved and changes to the files cannot be saved under the name currently allocated to the file. Any changes or scenarios modelled should be saved as a file with a new name.
These files were developed for, and funded in part by, the Beef CRC, with contributions by government beef extension officers from Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia. They will be bought up to date once the 2016 ABS census data is available.
Scenario analysis files
These are example files for the Breedcowplus, Dynamaplus and Investan programs for three regions of northern Australia. Additional regions will be added as they are developed. These files together with the document “Improving the performance of beef enterprises in northern Australia” look at the relative and absolute value of a wide range of strategies.