Animal ethics refers to the ethical use of animals for scientific purposes (i.e. research, testing and teaching).
Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics safeguards the welfare of these animals in Queensland under Queensland's animal welfare legislation, the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA).
Any person proposing to use animals for these purposes must:
- register with Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics
- obtain approval from an animal ethics committee (AEC)
- comply with the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes which is compulsory under Section 91 of the ACPA
- keep the required documentation
- submit an annual Animal Use Statistics Report, either through their AEC, or directly to Biosecurity Queensland - Animal Welfare and Ethics.