Panama TR4 Program Management Board
Biosecurity Queensland and the Australian Banana Growers’ Council (ABGC) have worked together to manage Panama disease tropical race 4 (Panama TR4) since the disease was first detected in Queensland in 2015.
In April 2020, this collaboration progressed to form the Panama TR4 Program Management Board (the Board) to jointly fund, govern and deliver the Panama TR4 Program (Program) until 2023.
With equal government and industry representation, the Board gives the banana industry an opportunity to make key decisions on the future management of the disease, and to ensure the Program continues to be effective and efficient.
The Board comprises of:
- Chair, Malcolm Letts, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF), Deputy Director-General and Chief Biosecurity Officer
- Adrian Crema, Tully grower
- Leon Collins, ABGC Deputy Chair and Tully grower
- Leanne Erakovic, ABGC Chief Executive Officer
- Mike Ashton, DAF General Manager and Chief Plant Protection Officer, Plant Biosecurity and Product Integrity
- Lynne Turner, DAF, General Manager, Horticulture and Forestry Science
In 2019, the Queensland Government committed a further $12.089 million from 1 January 2019 to 30 June 2023 to control and contain Panama TR4 in the Far North Queensland banana production areas. The ABGC has committed to share in the funding of the Program through grower levies at the following level of contribution:
- 2019/20 – 10%
- 2020/21 – 25%
- 2021/22 – 40%
- 2022/23 – 50%
The Board will meet quarterly and is committed to keep the banana industry informed on key decisions and Program deliverables. Growers will have an opportunity to provide input to the Board through their ABGC representative.
The Board will provide:
- a quarterly snapshot report via ABGC e-bulletins and Panama TR4 Program updates and ABGC and DAF websites
- a yearly update in the Australian Bananas magazine
- a dedicated page on the ABGC website including information on Board members, Board purpose, timeframes and deliverables.
Below are the Board quarterly snapshot reports:
- March 2023 (PDF, 392.1KB)
- February 2023 (PDF, 391.2KB)
- December 2022 (PDF, 398.0KB)
- September 2022 (PDF, 390.5KB)
- June 2022 (PDF, 583.4KB)
- March 2022 (PDF, 578.5KB)
- December 2021 (PDF, 522.8KB)
- October 2021 (PDF, 195.7KB)
- June and July 2021 (PDF, 208.2KB)
- Thursday 15 April 2021 (PDF, 194.5KB)
- Wednesday 17 February 2021 (PDF, 161.4KB)
- Wednesday 16 December 2020 (PDF, 228.3KB)
- Tuesday 21 October 2020 (PDF, 371.7KB)
- Monday 10 August 2020 (PDF, 255.3KB)
- Friday 3 April 2020 (PDF, 226.3KB)