Surveillance program for RBE and NLIS
A surveillance program for Registered Biosecurity Entities [RBE] & National Livestock Identification System [NLIS] has been authorised under the Biosecurity Act 2014.
Purpose and scope
The purpose of the biosecurity program is to:
- monitor compliance with the Act and Biosecurity Regulations 2016 (Regulations) concerning the registration of entities that keep animals.
- monitor compliance with the Act and Biosecurity Regulations 2016 (Regulations) concerning the identification of special designated animals.
- monitor compliance with the Act and Biosecurity Regulations 2016 (Regulations) concerning the reporting of movements of special designated animals to the NLIS database.
- provide advice to Industry and Government concerning industry supply chain sectors monitor & compliance activities as it relates to the Act and Biosecurity Regulations 2016 (Regulations) concerning the reporting of the movements of special designated animals to the NLIS database.
- Support information supplied to SafeMeat, NBC, AGSOC and AGMIN that relates to PIC registers, RBE registers and NLIS.
The Biosecurity Program is the most effective and efficient option to check compliance with the Act and to monitor RBE registration and compliance and NLIS movement and reporting activities within the supply chain sectors.
Obligations under the Program
A person who is either RBE, occupier, land owner or authorised person of a place to which the Queensland RBE & NLIS Surveillance Program relates may be required to:
- muster or yard any livestock on the place
- assist in the handling of any designated animal in order for an authorised person to inspect the designated animal.
- provide hard copy or electronic documentation on request
- provide access to a thing to facilitate photography of the thing
- help the authorised officer in the execution of their powers.
A person of whom a help requirement has been made must comply with the requirement unless the person has a reasonable excuse.
Access to biosecurity program
A copy of the Surveillance program for RBE & NLIS under the Biosecurity Act 2014 will be available soon for inspection at all Department of Agriculture and Fisheries offices.
A free copy can be provided on request by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.