Surveillance program for cattle tick
A surveillance program for cattle tick has been authorised under the Biosecurity Act 2014.
The biosecurity matter to which the biosecurity program relates is cattle tick (Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) australis or Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus).
Purpose and scope
The purpose of the biosecurity program is to:
- monitor compliance with the Act and Biosecurity Regulation 2016;
- monitor for the presence or confirm the absence of cattle tick in the Queensland cattle tick free zone; or
- monitor levels of biosecurity matter (cattle tick): or
- monitor the effects of measures taken in response to a cattle tick infestation in the Queensland cattle tick free zone (biosecurity risk).
The biosecurity program applies to any place in Queensland where a person keeps or is suspected to keep a designated animal that is a potential cattle tick carrier.
Obligations under the Program
Under the Queensland Cattle Tick Surveillance Program you may be required to undertake certain activities including:
- muster and yard any cattle tick carrier on the place for the purpose of inspecting the carriers to determine the presence or absence of cattle ticks
- muster and yard any cattle tick carrier on the place to allow an authorised officer to monitor the effects of measures taken in response to a cattle tick infestation in the free zone
- assist in the handling of any cattle tick carrier in order for an authorised person to inspect or sample the cattle tick carriers
- provide hard copy or electronic documentation on request
- provide access to a thing to facilitate photography of the thing
- help the authorised officer in the execution of their powers.
Commencement and duration
The biosecurity program commences on 1 February 2019 and is ongoing.
Access to biosecurity program
A copy of the Surveillance program for cattle tick under the Biosecurity Act 2014 (PDF, 5.0MB) is available for inspection at all Department of Agriculture and Fisheries offices.
A free copy can be provided on request by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.