Prevention and Control Program for varroa mite 2019 and 2020 incidents
The biosecurity program relates to:
- varroa mite (Varroa jacobsoni); and
- varroa mite carriers (a bee; a swarm, nest or hive of bees; an apiary appliance; or an apiary product).
Purpose and scope
The objectives of the biosecurity program are to:
- prevent further spread of varroa mite in Asian honey bees;
- minimise the risk of establishment of varroa mite in European honey bees; and
- eradicate varroa mite from Queensland (within the area of the prevention and control program).
The biosecurity program will apply to places, other than residences, within the State of Queensland.
Commencement and duration
The biosecurity program commenced on 1 May 2021 and will continue until 30 June 2021.
Access to biosecurity program
To view a copy of the biosecurity program you can:
- download a copy
- view a copy at any Department of Agriculture and Fisheries office location
- contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 to request a copy.