Surveillance Program for varroa mite 2019 and 2020 incidents
The biosecurity program relates to:
- varroa mite (Varroa jacobsoni); and
- varroa mite carriers (a bee; a swarm, nest or hive of bees; an apiary appliance; or an apiary product).
Purpose and scope
The objectives of the biosecurity program are to:
- delimit the geographic distribution of varroa mite in Asian honey bees; and
- monitor the feral population of European honey bees and managed hives to determine whether the varroa mite is present on European honey bees.
The biosecurity program will apply to places, other than residences, within the State of Queensland.
Surveillance activities targeted at managed hives will only apply to places where managed hives are kept.
Commencement and duration
The biosecurity program commenced on 1 May 2021 and will continue until 30 June 2021.
Access to biosecurity program
To view a copy of the biosecurity program you can:
- download a copy
- view a copy at any Department of Agriculture and Fisheries office location
- contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 to request a copy.