The Queensland agriculture and food research, development and extension 10-year roadmap and action plan states the government’s vision for agriculture and food RD&E and clarifies how we’ll capitalise on our competitive advantages and realise the opportunities for growth.
Vision: Queensland’s internationally recognised agriculture and food RD&E underpins a productive, profitable and sustainable sector.
The Queensland Government aims to grow the Queensland economy, to raise living standards and generate high-value, high-skilled jobs. The agricultural and food industries are a key strength of the Queensland economy.
The benefits of agriculture and food include:
- new technologies, tools, and plant varieties that enable producers to remain economically viable
- high-quality, safe food and agricultural products which are affordable and available year-round
- increased exports and growth in regional jobs
However, the sector faces challenges. These include:
- accessing funding and investment capital
- adoption of RD&E outputs
- gaps in skills and capability
- a changing climate
To meet these challenges, the roadmap identifies 14 actions, which target the following 3 key areas:
- increase innovation and commercialisation
- identify and promote agriculture and food RD&E opportunities
- support the existing sector to grow and develop new business
The Queensland agriculture and food research, development and extension 10-year roadmap and action plan is part of the Queensland Government’s $513 million Advance Queensland initiative to create knowledge-based jobs of the future for Queenslanders.
For more information email AgricultureRoadmap@daf.qld.gov.au