The Fisheries Ministerial Advisory Committee consisted of twelve members from across all fishery sectors – recreational, commercial, Indigenous, fisheries and conservation science – to provide input into the independent fisheries management review.
A mix of interest groups ensured the review achieved a balanced outcome. The selection of members took into consideration an appropriate spread across regions, genders, and knowledge and skill sets.
Using their collective expertise, the Committee provided strategic advice to the independent consultants for consideration during the review process, and directly advised the Minister on important fishery matters and on the final recommendations of the report.
The Ministerial Advisory Committee members were:
- Mr David Bateman, Recreational fisher, Chair, Sunfish Queensland
- Mr Stephen Murphy, Commercial fisher, Southern Trawl fishery
- Mr John Page, Commercial fisher, Net fishery
- Mr Edwin Morrisson, Commercial fisher, Northern Trawl fishery
- Ms Claudine Ward, Commercial fisher, Secretary of the Gulf of Carpentaria Commercial Fishermen Association
- Ms Karen Collard, Commercial fisher, Chair, Queensland Seafood Industry Association
- Mr Neil Green, Commercial fisher, Net and Crab fishery
- Mr Les Kowitz, Recreational fisher, Executive Officer, Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland
- Mr Andrew Tobin, Fisheries scientist and commercial fisher, Line fishery
- Ms Sian Breen, Fishing and conservation expertise
- Mr Chris Calogeras, Aquaculture, Chair, FRDC Indigenous Reference Network
- Mr Matt Barwick, Recreational fisher, Queensland Fisheries Research Advisory Board