- Recreational boat registration/licensing - Department of Transport and Main Roads, Ph: 13 23 80
- Commercial vessels standards - Department of Transport and Main Roads, Ph: 3860 3500
- Marine pollution - Department of Transport and Main Roads, Ph: 3224 2620 24-hour reporting Ph: 3895 1318
- Marine incidents (accidents) - Department of Transport and Main Roads, 24-hour reporting Ph: 3895 1318
- Boat ramps - Department of Transport and Main Roads, Ph: 3834 3806
- Boating safety - Department of Transport and Main Roads, Ph: 3860 3500
- Commercial boat licences - Fisheries Queensland, Ph: 13 25 23.
Ciguatera is a form of food poisoning. It is caused by eating warm ocean fin fish that carry ciguatera poison.
People experiencing or having experienced what they believe to be ciguatera fish poisoning should contact Queensland Health.
Tropical Population Health Unit Network
Cairns, Ph: 4226 5555
Townsville, Ph: 4433 6900
Mackay, Ph: 4911 0400
Mount Isa and Gulf, Ph: 4744 1786
Central Population Health Unit Network
Rockhampton, Ph: 4920 6989
Wide Bay (Bundaberg), Ph: 4303 7500
Sunshine Coast, Ph: 5409 6600
Brisbane Northside, Ph: 3624 1111
Redcliffe, Ph: 3142 1800
Southern Population Health Unit Network
Darling Downs (Toowoomba), Ph: 4699 8240
West Moreton, Ph: 3818 4700
Brisbane Southside, Ph: 3176 4000
Gold Coast, Ph: 5668 3700
Fish kill incidents
- For reporting large numbers of dead fish - Department of Environment and Science, Ph: 1300 130 372.
Reporting a fishery issue
- Queensland shark control program (and shark hotline) - for reporting out-of-place shark equipment and entrapped marine animals, Ph: 1800 806 891.
- To report illegal fishing activities phone Fishwatch on 1800 017 116
Mangrove or marine plant disturbances
- To report disturbance of mangroves, other marine plants or fish habitats phone Fishwatch on 1800 017 116
Fishing in marine parks
Consult your local Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service office for information on restrictions in these areas
Licences, permits and approvals
- Commercial fishing licences
- Marine plant, declared fish habitat area (FHA) and waterway barrier works approvals
- Recreational freshwater fishing (stocked impoundment permits)
FarmFax is an information service with a range of fisheries information, that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the cost of a phone call. Once you call and order your information it is faxed back to you in minutes or sent in the mail the next day.
Ph: 3222 2996.