The 2018-19 edition of the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide is now available. Single copies of the guide can be ordered from the department's Customer Service Centre. Bulk orders of the guide can be ordered direct from the publisher by calling 07 3891 7793 or online at www.transtasmanmediagroup.com (P&H fees apply). A digital copy of the guide is also available for download.
The 2018-19 Queensland freshwater and tidal water fishing pocket guide is also available. Single copies of the pocket guide can be ordered from the department's Customer Service Centre. A digital copy of the pocket guide is also available for download.
Anglers do not require a licence to fish recreationally in Queensland, except if fishing in some stocked impoundments. The content below provides detailed information on anglers' responsibilities when fishing in fresh waters and tidal waters. Fishing rules apply to all ages but children should be of an age where they can be responsible for the use of their own fishing gear.
- Sale of fish and other prohibitions
- Tagged fish
- Noxious fish
- Spearfishing, spear guns and underwater breathing apparatus
- Protected and no take species
- Size, take and possession limits
- Fishing gear - tidal waters
- Skin and fillet removal
- Closed seasons
- Closed waters and collecting bait
- Grey nurse shark protection areas
- Marine plants
- Crabs and lobsters
- Queenlsand marine worm identification guide (PDF, 1.8MB)
Freshwater & stocked impoundments/dams
Fisheries regulations and other fisheries issues, contact:
Relevant legislation, regulations and management plans may be accessed from:
- Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel (Fisheries Act, regulations and management plans)
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority (Commonwealth legislation)
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
- Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing (Queensland marine parks)
- Freshwater Fishes of the Greater Brisbane Region (Queensland Museum)
Fisheries Queensland advises that the summarised information on this website should not be relied on as a complete or accurate representation of the legislative requirements. Users may access copies of the Fisheries Act 1994, regulations and management plans and should seek their own legal advice. Fisheries Queensland disclaims all liability for all claims, loss, damages, cost or expense of whatever nature, howsoever occurring as a result of reliance upon the information contained on this website.