Follow these safety guidelines to minimise the risk of a shark attack:
- Don’t swim at dawn or dusk.
- Always swim in clear water (not in murky water, busy anchorages, estuary mouths or canals).
- Don’t throw food scraps or fish waste overboard (including in anchorages or where people are swimming).
- Don’t swim where fish are being cleaned.
- Swim, surf, snorkel or dive with a buddy.
- Follow local signage and swim between the flags at patrolled beaches.
Read more about how you can Be Safe. Be SharkSmart.
Beaches with shark safety equipment
We recommend you swim only at patrolled beaches that have shark safety equipment in place.
North Stradbroke Island
Townsville and Magnetic Island
Locations of SCP equipment
Maps of equipment locations:
- Cairns (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Townsville and Magnetic Island (PDF, 2.4MB)
- Mackay (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Capricorn Coast North (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Capricorn Coast South (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Tannum Sands (PDF, 2.4MB)
- Bundaberg (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Rainbow Beach (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Sunshine Coast - north (PDF, 3.6MB)
- Sunshine Coast - south (PDF, 3.9MB)
- Sunshine Coast - Bribie Island (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Point Lookout (PDF, 2.4MB)
- Gold Coast - north (PDF, 4.5MB)
- Gold Coast - south (PDF, 3.7MB)