Queensland's forest and timber industry makes an important contribution to the economy and to many rural and regional communities.
- has an estimated annual turnover of around $3.8 billion (2015–16 figures)
- directly employs more than 8800 people (2017 figures)
- has diverse activity and investment across the value chain - from forest growing through the manufacture and sale of new and innovative timber products
- is a highly valued employer in many regional areas.
Read Queensland forest and timber industry: Economic snapshot for the most up-to-date data on the industry.
Get industry updates directly to your inbox by subscribing to our electronic Queensland Forest and Timber Industry Bulletin.
The Queensland forest estate is characterised by large, highly productive softwood plantations and extensive areas of relatively slow-growing native forest comprising both hardwoods and cypress pine.
Processing sector and product innovation
The state's forests support a largely regionally based processing sector, with most of our timber being used to produce building products. The Queensland industry continues to evolve and innovate to maintain and grow market share. Engineered wood products and associated timber building systems offer important future growth opportunities.
Read Queensland Forest and Timber Industry: an overview for an outline of the industry.
The following industry organisations can provide more information:
- Timber Queensland is the peak timber industry body in Queensland.
- Australian Forest Growers - private forestry and commercial tree growing interests.
- Australian Forest Products Association is the national peak body for forest and wood products industry.
- Australasian Timber Flooring Association
- Australian Timber Importers Federation - timber importer and wholesaler sectors of the national timber industry.
- Engineered Wood Products Association of Australasia
- Forest & Wood Products Australia - investing in research and development and delivering research outcomes to the forest and wood products industry in Australia.
- Nursery & Garden Industry Queensland - nursery industry including production and retail nurseries, garden centres, allied traders and service providers.
- Private Forestry Service Queensland - a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to ecologically sustainable private forestry. Find helpful guides and details on upcoming workshops.
- Timber Communities Australia - an organisation of people associated with or supportive of forest-based industries.
- Timber Preservers Association of Australia.