Forest and timber industry profile
The forest and timber industry in Queensland is diverse and covers activities that include forest growing, harvest and haulage, processing and manufacturing, value-adding, timber merchants, importers and pulp and paper.
Queensland’s forest resources are characterised by large, highly productive softwood plantations and extensive areas of relatively slow-growing native forest comprising both hardwoods and cypress pine.
These forests support a regionally based processing sector, with most timber being used to produce building products.
The Queensland industry continues to evolve and innovate. Engineered wood products and associated timber building systems offer important future growth opportunities.
Read Queensland Forest and Timber Industry: an overview for more information about the industry.
Queensland's forest and timber industry makes an important contribution to the economy and to many rural and regional communities.
- had an estimated annual turnover of around $3.8 billion in 2015–16
- directly employed more than 8800 people in 2017
- has diverse activity and investment across the value chain - from forest growing through the manufacture and sale of new and innovative timber products
- is a highly valued employer in many rural and regional areas.
Read Queensland forest and timber industry: Economic snapshot for the most up-to-date data on the industry.
Get industry updates directly to your inbox by subscribing to the Queensland Forest and Timber Industry Bulletin.
Industry associations can provide further information or help you connect with other businesses in the forestry industry.
They often arrange events, seminars and networking opportunities where you may be able to find suppliers, make contacts, generate new business and improve your practices.
Contact the following industry associations to find out how they can help you:
- Australian Forest Products Association (AFPA)
AFPA represents companies, individuals and organisations who are involved in the forest and forest products industry. AFPA merged with the Australian Plantation Products and Paper Industry Council (A3P) and the National Association of Forest Industries (NAFI).
- Australian Forest Growers (AFG)
AFG is the national association representing private forestry and commercial tree growing interests in Australia.
- Australasian Timber Flooring Association (ATFA)
ATFA represents Australia's timber flooring industry.
- Australian Timber Importers Federation (ATIF)
ATIF represents the timber importer and wholesaler sectors of the national timber industry.
- Engineered Wood Products Association of Australasia (EWPAA)
EWPAA represents the engineered wood products industry of Australasia.
- Forest and Wood Products Australia (FWPA)
FWPA is the forestry industry's services provider, investing in research and development (R&D) and delivering research outcomes to the forest and wood products industry in Australia.
- The Timber Preservers Association of Australia (TPAA)
TPAA represents Australia's timber preservation industry.
- Timber Communities Australia (TCA)
TCA is a national community organisation of people associated with or supportive of Australia's forest-based industries.
- Timber Queensland (TQ)
TQ is the peak timber industry body in Queensland.