Purchasing state-owned quarry material

We issue sales permits under the Forestry Act 1959 (Qld) for the extraction and removal of rocks, sand and gravel (quarry material) from state forests, timber reserves and other state-owned land, such as leasehold land.

We also issue permits on other land where quarry material has been reserved to or is owned by the state, including some freehold land.

A number of private and local government quarries operate on state land and also on land where we retain rights to the quarry material.

Purchasing quarry material

From time to time we provide opportunities to purchase quarry materials.

When available, new sales will be published on this website.

A sales permit is issued under the Forestry Act to allow the removal and use of state-owned quarry material.

If you wish to inquire about purchasing quarry material, please contact the Customer service centre on 13 25 23.

Frequently asked questions

What quarry material products are available for sale under the Forestry Act?

When available, quarry material is any stone, gravel, sand, rock, clay and earth that is not defined as a mineral under the Mineral Resources Act 1989.

What is a sales permit?

A sales permit is issued under the Forestry Act to allow the removal and use of state-owned quarry material.

It is a legal agreement between the state of Queensland and a permittee, and sets out the commercial terms, rights and performance requirements agreed between the parties.

What land tenures have quarry material?

State forests and timber reserves include quarry material that are owned by the state.

The state also owns quarry material on other state lands. This includes land leased under the Land Act 1994, such as pastoral leases, grazing homestead perpetual leases, term leases and perpetual leases.

The state can also own quarry material on reserves, deeds of grant in trust, permits to occupy, occupation licences, roads and unallocated state land.

The state can also own quarry material under the Forestry Act on freehold land where the ownership has been retained through a reservation on a deed of grant under the Land Act.

In tidal waters, quarry material covered by a lease or licence also falls within the Forestry Act and a sales permit is required to extract and remove this material.

Can I sell quarry material on my leasehold land?

You cannot sell or remove state-owned quarry material without a sales permit, unless authorised under other legislation.

Quarry material may be used by the leaseholder as long as it is not removed from the land, and is only used for the construction, maintenance or repair of essential infrastructure and where the use is consistent with the purpose of the granted lease as issued under the Land Act.

How do I establish a new quarry?

If you wish to quarry state-owned quarry material, you will need a sales permit.

We can provide advice on your proposal and, if supported, will work with you to develop commercial terms and conditions before issuing a sales permit under the Forestry Act.

Prior to commencing operations, you will be required to consider native title, address environmental issues and obtain any necessary planning approvals

You may also need a quarry management or operational plan that reflects relevant legislation, codes of practice and industry standards. This includes environmentally-responsible site management and rehabilitation measures.

More information