|Research Facility Name||Gatton Research Facility|
|Research Facility Manager||Gavin Berry|
|Address||Gatton Research Facility, Warrego highway, Lawes 4343|
|Telephone||07 5346 9522|
|Coordinates /GPS at office||
27o32’45” S |
|Climate (Temperature max & min, Annual Rainfall)||The climate is sub-humid and subtropical with long hot summers, + 30o C and short mild to cold winters, + 5o C. The average annual rainfall of 778mm is summer dominant with approximately 70 per cent falling between October and March. There is a large variation in annual rainfall amount and monthly distribution. The average annual evaporation rate is 1893mm.|
|Topography (Brief description)||Situated on the flat alluvial plain of Lockyer Creek. The alluvium forming this landscape is largely from basalt deposited during the Quaternary period.|
Overview of the Site
Gatton Research Facility (GRF) is located on the Warrego Highway, five kilometres east of Gatton and a relaxing one-hour drive west of Brisbane CBD
GRF plays a significant role in the provision of research services to the Horticultural and Agricultural industries in subtropical Queensland.
The facility houses research staff from the Queensland Government, Universities and other research organisations and works collaboratively with these and other industry partners. Research at this site is focused on vegetable, broad acre and pasture crops, involving disease, nutrition, and agronomy and demonstration activities.
The site has built facilities include an administration office with accommodation for 50 staff, conference and meeting rooms. General storage and machinery sheds and purpose built mechanical work shop and chemical store.
The site has a wide range of plant and equipment including tractors, trucks andcultivators required to support research and grow a broad range of grain and horticultural crops.
- Glasshouse 1, evaporative cooled unit.
- Cold rooms 2, with temperature and humidity controls.
Laboratories, processing facilities and conference room
- Laboratories 2, general and pathology/entomology labs. Two small transportable labs are used for general lab work.
- Conference room, a purpose built facility for up to 50 persons.
- Pumping and irrigation, 2 bores with a total capacity of 120,000 liters per hour. Capacity to deliver water via a computerized boom, sprinkler, drip and flood systems.
Specialised Plant & EquipmentPrecision planters & Plot harvesters
- Planters, monosem precision, cone seeder (3), small seed precision planter
- GPS guidance, fitted to a JD 6330 and Case 95C
- Fertiliser applicators, Vicon twin disc spreader and interrow applicator
- Forage harvester with weighing capacity (Oats Program, Heritage Seeds)
Pest and Pathogen Control
- Sprayers, Air boom and general purpose boom.
- Field isolation areas for disease trials.
- Truck, small ridged body truck
- Dryer, 1 large old Hurricane
- Plant grinder
Gatton Research Facility supports the vegetable horticulture, pasture and grains research and development programs. Research conducted includes plant breeding, improving production, disease resistance, integrated pest management programs and enhanced crop quality of vegetables these include tomato, capsicum and cucurbits.