Northern Fisheries Centre (top) and the Aquaculture and Stock Enhancement Facility (located across the street from the Northern Fisheries Centre).
The Northern Fisheries Centre (NFC), was established in Cairns in 1976. It was relocated to a new site on Smith's Creek, Cairns, in 1979. In 2002 the centre was refurbished and a new multi-million dollar Aquaculture and Stock Enhancement Facility was constructed across the street.
Research at the centre is focused on two main areas:
- sustainable production of wild fisheries found in tropical estuarine, inshore and offshore reef waters
- tropical mariculture of high-value species such as coral reef fish and tropical rock lobsters.
Fisheries and aquaculture research
- aquaculture research and development.
- aquaculture licensing
- fisheries resource monitoring and assessment
- fish stocking advice
- marine habitat management.
Address: 38-40 Tingira Street, PO Box 5396, Portsmith, Cairns, Queensland 4870
Postal address: PO Box 5396, Cairns, Queensland 4870
Phone: 07 4057 3700
Fax: Aquaculture 07 4057 3813; Fisheries 07 4057 3811