Below is a link to information about farm management of horticultural crops.
- Tips for a successful business
Characteristics of a successful horticultural enterprise, markets, production areas and risks
- The production environment
Basic factors such as soil suitability, availability of irrigation, temperature effects on growth, production and quality, irrigation, labour requirements and mechanical aids
- Matching crop requirements to the production environment
How to get an understanding of a new location's suitability by comparing the environment where a vegetable crop grows well with the environment of the intended new location
- Temperature requirements and limitations
How temperature affects plant growth and performance for a range of vegetable crops in southern Queensland
- Sensible use of irrigation resources during drought periods
Information about efficient use of irrigation resources in a drought
- Drought and horticulture
Drought information applicable to horticultural producers
- Vegetable production in the Lockyer and Fassifern Valleys, Eastern Darling Downs and Stanthorpe regions
Major production areas, conditions and markets for a range of vegetable crops in Queensland's Lockyer and Fassifern Valleys, eastern Darling Downs and Stanthorpe regions
- Agvet chemicals: Licensing and permits
Information about the types of licences and permits required when dealing with chemicals and residues
- Water quality sampling
How to determine your collection site, sample storage and links to accredited testing laboratories
- Interpretation of water analysis for irrigation
Common laboratory results and examples including, electrical conductivity, total dissolved salts, pH, turbidity, hardness and specific ions.
- Effects of water quality on soil, plants and irrigation equipment
Impact of salinity on plants and soil, including threshold levels. Use of the saturation index to predict the likelihood of scaling or corrosion on irrigation pipes.
- Environmental Management System
A systematic approach to managing the impacts that a business has on the environment.
- Farm Safety
Information regarding workplace health and safety obligations
- Using chemical Sprays
Guide on how chemical sprays are used to manage a wide range of pests, including insects, diseases and weeds
- Quality assurance
Information regarding quality standards, supplier programs, freshcare, hazard analysis