Awards Day and Agricultural (Ag) Science Expo
Each year participants and prize winners of the schools plant science competition are formally acknowledged at a special Awards Day and Agricultural Science Expo, which is held at the department's Hermitage Research Facility in Warwick, Queensland during National Science Week.
The aims of the day are to:
- highlight the significance and importance of agriculture and science to our daily lives and promote science and agriculture as a great choice for a long-term, rewarding career
- formally recognise and celebrate students involvement and achievements in the competition with departmental staff, competition supporters and the general community
- provide students an opportunity to interact with high profile keynote speakers, scientists, staff and competition supporters and learn about current plant science research and related industries.
All school students who submit a competition entry, together with their teachers and parents/other family members, and the general public are invited to attend the Awards Day and Ag Science Expo.
Time: 8.45am - 2.30pm
Awards ceremony: 8.45am - 10.45am
Ag Science Expo: 11am - 2.30pm
- A guided tour of the Hermitage Research Facility including presentations by departmental research staff about sorghum, pulses, barley, grain storage/pests, fisheries and the biosecurity animal welfare dogs.
- ‘ScienceShow Alley’ interactive displays and presentations including drone technology, animal biosecurity, beekeeping, horticulture/entomology, soil health, local high school agriculture displays, careers information, farm machinery and an animal nursery.
- BBQ lunch for all attendees.