Australian Weeds Strategy
The purpose of the Australian Weeds Strategy is to reduce the detrimental impact of weeds on agriculture and the environment.
The goals of the strategy are to:
- prevent the development of new weed problems
- reduce the impact of existing weed problems of national significance
- provide the framework and capacity for ongoing management of weed problems of national significance.
The strategy addresses weed problems of national significance, in particular problems that:
- threaten the profitability or sustainability of Australia's agricultural industries
- constitute major threats to Australia´s biodiversity
- require remedial action across several states and territories.
Under this strategy, 32 Weeds of National Significance (WONS) have been identified, and national strategies for all the species have been published.
- The Australian National Weeds Strategy and strategies for the 32 WONS species are available from the Weeds Australia website.