Pest management planning
Planning is essential for effective pest management, as it ensures resources are used in the most productive and efficient manner.
Pest management planning occurs at all levels - national, state, regional, local and property.
In many instances pests can impact on a variety of natural resources such as water, vegetation, land and cultural heritage. Planning for pest management, therefore, must be considered in association with other natural resource management issues.
Benefits of planning
Pest management plans are valuable tools that can help government, industry, regional bodies and landowners to effectively manage pests, improve their profitability and sustainability, and fulfil their general biosecurity obligation.
Pest management plans can help to:
- demonstrate that statutory obligations are met
- improve the effectiveness of control activities
- monitor and report on performance
- support applications for funding or other resources
- prioritise pest management activities
- improve coordination of effort
- improve stakeholder participation
- increase public awareness.