Management changes for black jewfish
The latest east coast black jewfish stock assessment has found that fish stocks are at healthy levels – so from 1 January 2023, the total allowable commercial catch on the east coast is 54 tonnes and recreational fishers will be able to fish for the full season on the east coast.
Fisheries Queensland will also consult with stakeholders on additional management changes, such as a seasonal spawning closure.
There is a total allowable commercial catch (TACC) of 54 tonnes on the east coast. The east coast TACC is divided into five management regions:
- east coast inshore management region 1 – 0kg
- east coast inshore management region 2 – 122kg
- east coast inshore management region 3 – 27,251kg
- east coast inshore management region 4 – 25,901kg
- east coast inshore management region 5 – 726kg.
Once the TACC is reached in a management region, black jewfish becomes a no-take species for commercial fishers in that regionfor the remainder of the quota season.
The TACC for the Gulf of Carpentaria is 6 tonnes. Once this TACC has been reached, black jewfish becomes a no-take species for both commercial and recreational fishers for the remainder of the quota season.
Commercial fishers who catch and retain black jewfish must:
- check the status of the black jewfish TACC before departing on a commercial fishing trip
- give a pre-trip notice before commencing a commercial fishing trip (submitted by the commercial fisher in charge of the operation)
- report catch via logbooks and AIVR so the TACC can be monitored, including a minimum 1-hour prior report and an immediate weights notice when the jewfish is first removed from the boat.
There is also a requirement for all fishers (commercial and recreational) to land black jewfish whole to prevent the processing of the fish at sea to remove the valuable swim bladders.
In addition, it is prohibited to take or possess any fish (including black jewfish) in Dalrymple Bay and Hay Point. The closed waters are the waters within the following boundary, from:
- latitude 21°14.430’ south, longitude 149°18.090’ east to latitude 21°14.520’ south, longitude 149°17.890’ east
- latitude 21°16.210’ south, longitude 149°19.090’ east
- latitude 21°16.320’ south, longitude 149°18.860’ east
- latitude 21°14.430’ south, longitude 149°18.090’ east.