Farming land is often accessed by companies who share legal rights to access agricultural properties. This can include petroleum, gas or resource companies, fossickers, electricity providers, or those who have a contract to enter the property.

All visitors must comply with the general biosecurity obligation under the Biosecurity Act 2014 regardless of their rights to access the property.

For properties with a biosecurity management plan in place, individuals and companies must comply with the conditions of the biosecurity management plan if they do not have a legal right to access a property under an Act, or if compliance with the biosecurity management plan forms part of a contractual agreement.

Read more about biosecurity management plans.

Petroleum and gas

Petroleum and gas companies are required under Queensland law to comply with land access laws. This includes compliance with the Land Access Code, which provides best practice guidelines for communicating and negotiating with landholders and mandatory conditions about conduct when entering and carrying out authorised activities on private land.

More information about land access is available on the GasFields Commission Queensland website.

Before carrying out advanced activities on private land, petroleum and gas companies must generally enter into a legally binding agreement with the landholder.

A guide to land access in Queensland has been prepared to assist landholders and resource understand Queensland’s land access laws and how they relate to the exploration and development of Queensland’s mineral and energy resources on private land.

For information on agreements between parties, industry obligations or dispute resolution, read or contact the Department of Resources or the GasFields Commission Queensland.

Resource companies

Resource companies entering private land to carry out authorised activities, must comply with the land access code and follow procedures to gain access.

The land access code provides best practice guidelines for communicating and negotiating with property owners or managers and mandatory conditions about conduct when entering and carrying out authorised activities on private land.

A conduct and compensation, deferral or opt-out agreement must be in place and is a legally binding agreement with the landowner.

For enquiries or complaints about resource activities in Queensland, contact the  Department of Resources’ Community Infoline on 13 71 07 or email


Fossickers must obtain a fossicking licence and are required to get written consent from the landholder to access private land to carry out fossicking activities.

Fossickers must also follow rules and responsibilities while carrying out their activities. Landholders with concerns about fossickers should contact the Department of Resources’ Community Infoline on 13 71 07 or email

Recreational users

Recreational users, visitors, and other members of the public are only permitted to access private agricultural land at the invitation of the property owner or manager.

Recreational users must still comply with the general biosecurity obligation in addition to seeking permission to access private properties.

Last updated: 14 Oct 2022