Branding and earmarking
COVID-19: Branding and earmarking submissions
- Currently only horse and cattle three-piece brand applications and pig brand applications, are being processed. Clients should delay lodging applications for symbol brands or earmarks, until after the Covid-19 pandemic.
- All brand and earmark applications must be emailed to email@example.com. For security reasons, credit card details must not be entered on the application form.
- Once the application form is received, licensing and transaction staff will call applicants to process fee payments via a secured line.
- Applications may take up to 80 working days to process.
- Do not post applications as they will not be received by processing staff.
- A branding exemption is in place and cattle producers are not required to brand cattle with a live weight in excess of 100kg before sale. The exemption will apply until the end of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Brands and earmarks are used to prove ownership of livestock. They are only compulsory for cattle and pigs when they are being sold. However they are recommended to avoid ownership disputes over stray animals.