Biosecurity Queensland Ministerial Advisory Council
Biosecurity Queensland Ministerial Advisory Council established
Members of the Biosecurity Queensland Ministerial Advisory Council (BQMAC) have been selected, following a public expression of interest to nominate representatives, held in mid 2019.
What is BQMAC?
BQMAC’s role is to provide strategic oversight and direction on Queensland’s priorities within the national biosecurity system. It will do this by providing advice on the Queensland Biosecurity Strategy 2018 – 2023 which is the strategic direction for partners in the biosecurity system and by providing advice to the the Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries on key biosecurity issues and trends affecting Queensland. BQMAC’s role is also to work in partnership with stakeholders, supporting discussion and consultation and disseminating information to industry channels.
BQMAC comprises members with skillsets that demonstrate them as future leaders and influencers of biosecurity preparedness and response within Queensland. With their combined breadth of knowledge and experience, the council will foster innovation and support Biosecurity Queensland to protect Queensland’s ecosystems, industries, and our way of life.
The members of BQMAC are:
- Council Chair – as a former Queensland Government Director-General, Scott Spencer has considerable experience in the biosecurity field with a demonstrated track record of policy development and reform across most aspects of natural resources and primary industries
- Aaron Dodd, Research Fellow, Biosecurity and Environmental Economics Centre of Excellence for Biosecurity Risk Analysis, University of Melbourne
- Professor Maxine Whittaker, Dean of the College of Public Health, Medical and Veterinary Sciences, James Cook University
- New nominee being progressed due to resignation of previous member, Local Government Association of Queensland
- Dr Rachel McFadyen, weeds and invasive pest management
- Janine Clark, Growcom
- Michelle McKinlay, Australian Banana Growers’ Council
- Will Wilson, AgForce
- John Coward, Queensland Pork Producers/ Egg Farmers of Australia Ltd/Queensland United Egg Producers Pty Ltd/ J&J Coward Pty Ltd Specialist Consulting Disciplines
- Peter Black, Essential Foresight.
Terms of reference
Download the full terms of reference.